Friday, January 9, 2009

right place, right time...

sometimes great/interesting photos are just a result of pure luck. it has nothing to do with the camera you own, the lens you just cleaned (or didn't clean) and it doesn't have anything to do with lighting. it just happens. don't believe me? check out wildlife photos sometime, most of them are PURE luck. (like a hawk landing on fence post near enough for you to get a shot of it with a mouse in its talons) sure, some of those people are out in the wilderness 24/7 waiting for that stroke of luck, but it is still luck. oh and they probably have a giant zoom lens. lucky bastards.

as i am not known for my luck, i don't have anything recent to show you. but this summer, we were up at our 'other' ranch and i came across this:




and i thought, holy crap! that looks like a nose growing out of a tree!





doesn't it? i mean, it is seriously cool but slightly creepy....(and you people eat fungus!!! ewww!!)
so i gave him a face....because it is nice to smell, it might be nice to see whats around him too....



he watched the ditch (that we just cleaned) fill with water....

and we left him, chilling in the forest, next to the babbling ditch....

i like to think that someone else came along and saw him and thought, whoa, how cool is that....

2 comments:

  1. Haha!

    I had a stroke of luck like that once. I snapped a picture of my husband welding. The lighting was perfect and, since I had a digital camera, I captured the arc weld. He didn't know I was there so it was totally natural. I ended up winning best of show at the county fair with it. That's the only time I have ever gotten that lucky though. Usually when I'm lucky enough to get a bird taking flight, there's a finger in front of the lens or something else dumb.

    ReplyDelete
  2. mary-
    i really want to see that pic! sounds amazing!

    ReplyDelete